Tuesday 23 August 2011

Living Local: Bromley Pt1

We spent a rare weekend in our locality this week. I normally drag Kit across London at the weekends, or down to the South Coast to see Nanny and Grandad. We tend to spend the week in the local area, but I want to make the most of living close to the excitement of London and make the most of the mass of free events that London provides.

Mainly due to laziness, and the dread of the idea of having to carry Kit in the buggy up and down anymore stairs I persuaded my friend Maz to leave the bright lights of London Bridge and embark on a journey into the most local of my locality.

So Saturday was started at the park at the end of my road. A local church, which also run a lovely toddler group, had arranged a family fun day, Fun in the Sun. I'm not religious at all, I envy the sense of community that religion creates, but in many ways I also feel excluded from large parts of my local community because I'm not religious (which is the part of religion that I don't like). I want to embrace the community that Kit will grow up in, because I want him to feel a part of it, whatever that community is. Kit enjoyed the watertray and dancing to the music, and they had some lovely activities for the older kids.





Later in the day, Southlands Road allotments (where I have my name on the waiting list), had their allotment show in the local school hall. We went along to look at all the vegetables and crafts, and to drink tea and win raffles (I won a bottle of Pimms, yay!). It was really lovely to see how everyone seemed to know each other and was cheering each other on. I hope that once/if we get an allotment next year, we can be more a part of it, and maybe enter some award-winning veg aswell! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...